Peshawar Museum, formerly Victoria Memorial Hall, is situated between Deans Hotel and the Old city, about five minutes walk from Jail Bridge and the Railway station. The museum was built in 1905.
Its long hall, flanked by side galleries and with a raised platform at the end opposite the door, was the ballroom. The museum, open 8.30 am to 12.30 pm and 2.30 to 5 pm in summer, 9 am to 4 pm in winter, closed on Wednesday, has one of Pakistan's best collections of Gandhara art, and the pieces are well arranged and labeled. with sculptures illustrating the life. of the Buddha placed in chronological order. The fasting Buddha here is even more haunting than the one in Lahore Museum. The ethnological section, the Hall of Tribes, has wooden carvings from the Kalash people in Chitral. There is also a Muslim Gallery, displays Islamic treasure and also displays the tribal handicrafts. The Peshawar Club, on Sir Syed Road near The Mall, is the former cantonment club house. As in the past, its recruitment policy is still extremely exclusive, is reserved for members and their guests, but anyone can go in to look around and browse in the library. There is a reciprocal arrangement for temporary membership with the Rawalpindi, Quetta and Karachi clubs. The swimming pool is surrounded by large shade trees. The morning session reserved for women. A shamiana curtains off the ladies till noon, behind which swim women in purdah. Bells ring loudly just before noon to warn the ladies that they are about to be exposed.